Students can Download Samacheer Kalvi 11th English Grammar Active and Passive Voice, Notes, Samacheer Kalvi 11th English Book Solutions Guide Pdf helps you to revise the complete Tamilnadu State Board New Syllabus and score more marks in your examinations. Learn the Samacheer Kalvi 11th English Grammar to enhance your grammar skills like reading comprehension, passage writing, parts of speech, tenses, passive and active voice, and many other concepts in no time.
Tamilnadu Samacheer Kalvi 11th English Grammar Active and Passive Voice
There are two ways of expressing an action by using a transitive verb.
Read the following sentences:
- Magesh killed a rat.
- A rat was killed by Magesh.
These two sentences have the same meaning. These are simply two different ways of saying the same thing. There is, however, a shift in stress on the agent and also a change in the form of verb.
In sentence (i), the subject ‘Magesh’ is the ‘doer’ of the action. It acts or is active. So the verb ’’killed’’ is in active voice.
In sentence (ii), the subject ‘A raf is the ‘receiver’ of action. It suffers the action done by someone else (Magesh, in this case). It is acted upon. So the verb ‘was killed’ is in passive voice.
A. Rewrite the following sentences using passive voice:
1. Mala will enjoy the vacation in Kodaikanal.
The vacation in Kodaikanal will be enjoyed by Mala.
2. Our friends must have triggered this quarrel.
This quarrel must have been triggered by our friends.
3. The police has verified the truth of his testimony.
The truth of his testimony has been verified by the police.
4. Circumstances will oblige Mr. Rao to quit his post.
Mr. Rao will be obliged by the circumstances to quit his post.
5. Someone pinched Peter’s wallet in the train.
Peter’s wallet has been pinched by someone in the train.
6. How have you solved the puzzle? .
How has the puzzle been solved by you?
7. The drunkards created nuisance during the marriage party.
Nuisance was created by the drunkards during the marriage party.
8. Is it possible to buy LED TV in installments with 0% interest?
Can LED TV be bought in installments with 0% interest?
9. Who taught you such a rude behaviour?
By whom were you taught such a rude behaviour?
10. One must endure what is incurable.
What can’t be cured has to be endured.
A heart specialist must be necessarily consulted now.
B. Rewrite the following sentences using active voice:
1. Have you ever been refused a loan before by any bank?
Has any bank refused a loan before to you?
2. Was my data card seen by you?
Did you see my data card?
3. We are taught English excellently by Mr. Henry.
Mr. Henry teaches us English excellently.
4. Shall I be taken to the Taj Mahal?
Will you take me to the Taj Mahal?
5. The earth is said to be flat by some.
Some say that the earth is flat.
6. Why should she be suspected by you?
Why should you suspect her?
7. This technical work could have been done only by an adult.
Only an adult could have done this technical work.
8. Those who help themselves are helped by God.
God helps those who help themselves.
9. A village is ravaged by a cyclone occasionally.
A cyclone ravages a village occasionally.
10. Let the boats are lowered and the drowning man is rescued.
Lower the boats and rescue the drowning man.